|the German name for Gliwice|
city, Slaskie wojewodztwo (province), southern Poland. An old settlement of Upper Silesia, Gliwice was chartered in 1276 and became capital of the Gliwice principality in 1312. It passed first to Bohemia, then to the Habsburgs, and in 1742 was incorporated (as part of Silesia) with Prussia. It was not returned to Poland until after World War II.
Learn more about Gleiwitz with a free trial on Britannica.com.