Fiancé or fiancée? What's the difference?


[goh-boh] /ˈgoʊ boʊ/
noun, plural gobos, goboes. Movies, Television.
a screen or mat covered with a dark material for shielding a camera lens from excess light or glare.
a screen or sheet of sound-absorbent material for shielding a microphone from sounds coming from a particular direction.
Origin of gobo
1925-30, Americanism; origin uncertain Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2015.
Cite This Source
British Dictionary definitions for gobo


noun (pl) -bos, -boes
a shield placed around a microphone to exclude unwanted sounds
a black screen placed around a camera lens, television lens, etc, to reduce the incident light
Word Origin
C20: of unknown origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Cite This Source
Word Origin and History for gobo

1930, American English, Hollywood movie set slang, of unknown origin, perhaps somehow from go-between.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source

Word of the Day

Difficulty index for gobo

Few English speakers likely know this word

Word Value for gobo

Scrabble Words With Friends

Nearby words for gobo