|Guelph or Guelf1 (ɡwɛlf)|
|1.||Compare Ghibelline a member of the political faction in medieval Italy that supported the power of the pope against the German emperors|
|2.||a member of a secret society in 19th-century Italy opposed to foreign rule|
|Guelf or Guelf1|
|'Guelphic or Guelf1|
|'Guelfic or Guelf1|
|'Guelphism or Guelf1|
|'Guelfism or Guelf1|
city, seat (1838) of Wellington county, southeastern Ontario, Canada. It lies along the Speed River, 40 miles (65 km) west-southwest of Toronto. Founded in 1827 alongside the falls on the river by John Galt, a Scottish novelist and colonizer, it was named after the Guelfs (Welfs), the family name of the British royal house of Hanover. Guelph is now a major manufacturing, agricultural, and educational centre in one of Canada's most densely populated areas. Its varied manufactures include clothing, cigarettes, electric transformers, glass yarn, and saw chains. The Ontario Agricultural College (established in 1874) and Ontario Veterinary College (1862), now both part of the University of Guelph (1964), contribute to the city's importance as a centre for research and training in scientific agriculture. Inc. village, 1851; town, 1856; city, 1879. Pop. (2006) 114,943.
Learn more about Guelph with a free trial on Britannica.com.