Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.


[hag-ee-uh-skohp, hey-jee-] /ˈhæg i əˌskoʊp, ˈheɪ dʒi-/
squint (def 13).
1830-40; hagio- + -scope
Related forms
[hag-uh-skop-ik, hey-jee-] /ˌhæg əˈskɒp ɪk, ˌheɪ dʒi-/ (Show IPA),
adjective Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2015.
Cite This Source
British Dictionary definitions for hagioscope


(architect) another name for squint (sense 6)
Derived Forms
hagioscopic (ˌhæɡɪəˈskɒpɪk) adjective
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Cite This Source
Encyclopedia Article for hagioscope

in architecture, any opening, usually oblique, cut through a wall or a pier in the chancel of a church to enable the congregation-in transepts or chapels, from which the altar would not otherwise be visible-to witness the elevation of the host (the eucharistic bread) during mass. Similar openings are sometimes furnished to enable an attendant to see the altar in order to ring a small bell at the appropriate intervals of the elevation of the Eucharist in preparation for communion or to permit someone in a vestry to notify the bell ringer. Hagioscopes are more common in England than in continental Europe.

Learn more about hagioscope with a free trial on
Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.
Cite This Source

Word of the Day

Difficulty index for hagioscope

Few English speakers likely know this word

Word Value for hagioscope

Scrabble Words With Friends

Nearby words for hagioscope