city, Saxony-Anhalt Land (state), central Germany, on the Holtemme River in the foreland of the northern Harz mountains, southwest of Magdeburg. It became a bishopric about 814 and was granted market rights in 989. It was one of the most important German trading cities in the 13th-14th century. The bishopric was suppressed and the town granted to Brandenburg by the Peace of Westphalia in 1648. Part of the kingdom of Westphalia from 1807 to 1814, it reverted to Prussia in 1815.
Learn more about Halberstadt with a free trial on Britannica.com.