Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, seat (1908) of Forrest county, southeastern Mississippi, U.S., on the Leaf and Bouie rivers, 70 miles (113 km) north of Gulfport. The city, in a longleaf-pine forest area, was founded in 1882 by Captain William H. Hardy, lumberman and engineer, who named it for his wife (it was previously known as Twin Forks and Gordonville). The arrival of railroads in 1884 and 1897 stimulated the lumber industry.