town (township), Plymouth county, eastern Massachusetts, U.S. It lies on Hingham Harbor (an inlet of Massachusetts Bay), about 15 miles (24 km) southeast of Boston. Settled in 1633, it was incorporated in 1635 and named for Hingham, England. During the 19th century it was a bustling industrial town (iron tools, nails, and textiles), and its harbour was a busy fishing and boatbuilding centre; these activities declined after the American Civil War. Hingham's economy now depends on trade, business and financial services, and light manufacturing. The town's Old Ship Church (1681) was a Puritan meetinghouse and is now conserved as a museum, and the Old Ordinary (1680) was a colonial tavern that served daily "ordinary" meals to travelers. Wompatuck State Park and Bare Cove Park are popular recreational areas. Area 22 square miles (57 square km). Pop. (1990) 19,821; (2000) 19,882.
Learn more about Hingham with a free trial on Britannica.com.