of or pertaining to James I of England or to his period.
noting or pertaining to the style of architecture and furnishings prevailing in England in the first half of the 17th century, continuing the Elizabethan style with a gradual introduction of Italian models in architecture and increased elaboration of forms and motifs in furnishings.
of or pertaining to the style of literature and drama produced during the early 17th century.
a writer, statesman, or other personage of the Jacobean period.

1750–60; < Neo-Latin Jacobae(us) of Jacobus (Latinized form of James) + -an

pro-Jacobean, adjective
quasi-Jacobean, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source Link To jacobean
World English Dictionary
Jacobean (ˌdʒækəˈbɪən)
1.  history characteristic of or relating to James I of England or to the period of his rule (1603--25)
2.  of or relating to the style of furniture current at this time, characterized by the use of dark brown carved oak
3.  denoting, relating to, or having the style of architecture used in England during this period, characterized by a combination of late Gothic and Palladian motifs
4.  any writer or other person who lived in the reign of James I
[C18: from New Latin jacōbaeus, from Jacōbus James]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

1770, lit. "of James" (king or apostle), especially "of the literary and architectural style of the time of James I" (1844). See James.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature