city and capital of Varmland lan (county), southwest-central Sweden, on the island of Tingvalla and on the northern shore of Lake Vanern, at the mouth of the Klar River. Originally called Tingvalla after the ting, or meetings of the legislature, that were held there, it was renamed in honour of Charles IX, who chartered it in 1584. It was made a cathedral city in 1645 and the seat of the county government in 1779. In 1905 it was the site of negotiations ending the union of Sweden and Norway.
Learn more about Karlstad with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|a scrap or morsel of food left at a meal.|
|a gadget; dingus; thingumbob.|