Why turkey has the same name as Turkey
port city, northern Morocco. It is situated 10 miles (16 km) above the mouth of the Sebou River. Before the French protectorate was established, Kenitra (Arabic: Al-Qunaytirah, "Little Bridge") was a fort; the settlement and port, built by order of Marshal L.-H.-G. Lyautey, date from 1913. Kenitra is a shipping centre for agricultural produce (mainly fruit), fish, timber, and lead and zinc ores. The city's industrial area lies upstream of the port. Kenitra is 6 miles (10 km) east of the Mehdiya ruins, a site of foreign occupation dating back to the Carthaginian period. The city is connected by railway and road with Sidi Kacem and Meknes and by road with Casablanca and Larache.