Quiz: Remember the definition of mal de mer?
village, Lake county, northeastern Illinois, U.S. Lying on the Des Plaines River, it is a suburb of Chicago, located 35 miles (55 km) north of downtown. It was first settled about 1834 and known as Vardin's Grove, for the first settler. In 1836 the land was officially opened for settlement, and the site was renamed Independence Grove. The patriotic theme was continued when it was renamed Libertyville in 1837 with the establishment of a post office (an Independence Grove post office already existed elsewhere). The name briefly changed to Burlington while the village served as the county seat (1839-41). Libertyville expanded rapidly after the establishment of a railroad link in 1881. Mainly residential, Libertyville has some industry, including telecommunications and plastics manufacture. Local attractions include the Ansel B. Cook Museum, housed in a Victorian mansion built in the 1870s, and a cultural centre sited in the former home of architect David Adler. A farm near Libertyville was the home of Adlai E. Stevenson II, governor of Illinois (1949-53) and Democratic nominee for U.S. president in 1952 and 1956. Inc. 1882. Pop. (1990) 19,174; (2000) 20,742.