city, seat (1822) of Niagara county, western New York, U.S. It lies 25 miles (40 km) northeast of Buffalo. It was founded in 1821 and grew around the series of five double locks (1847) of the Erie Canal built to overcome a difference of about 60 feet (18 metres) between the levels of Lake Erie and the Genesee River. Two modern locks (1918) of the New York State Canal System replaced one of the sets of five locks; the remaining original series of locks now exist as a cascade of five waterfalls. The city lies in the heart of the Niagara Frontier fruit belt. Utilizing the abundant waterpower of the Niagara River, it has developed diversified industries, including the manufacture of auto parts, valves, paperboard, and precision steel punches. There is a canal museum, and boat rides are offered on the canal. Inc. village, 1829; city, 1865. Pop. (1990) 24,426; (2000) 22,279.
Learn more about Lockport with a free trial on Britannica.com.