city, Murcia provincia (province) and comunidad autonoma (autonomous community), southeastern Spain. It is situated along the Guadalentin River in a semiarid and steppelike area that is surrounded by rugged mountains. The city, which sits on both banks of the river, was the Ilurco (Ilukro) of the Romans and the Lurka of the Moors. It was the scene of numerous battles between Christian and Moorish forces and was finally recaptured by Alfonso X the Wise in 1243, after which it became a Christian stronghold. The old part of Lorca surrounded the remains of its Moorish castle. The new sector is centred on the Calle (street) de la Corredera and contains houses with coats of arms on their walls dating from the 18th century, as well as the church of Santa Maria Real de las Huertas, which was allegedly built on the spot where Alfonso pitched his first tent before retaking the city.
Learn more about Lorca with a free trial on Britannica.com.