city, eastern New South Wales, Australia, in the Hunter River valley. Founded as a settlement for convicts (1818-21), it was called in turn The Camp, Molly Morgan Plains, and Wallis Plains. A second town, surveyed in 1829 on higher ground on the east side of Wallis Creek and called Maitland, later became East Maitland. The older settlement continued to be called Wallis Plains until 1835, when it was renamed West Maitland. Both townships were defined in 1835; East Maitland became a municipality in 1862 and West Maitland in 1863. The city was formed in 1944 by uniting eight towns. Having suffered floods in the past, Maitland has channeled growth toward higher ground to the east and west. On the New England Highway, 20 miles (32 km) northwest of Newcastle, and an important rail junction, the region yields dairy products, pigs, vegetables, fruits, and grains. Industries include slaughtering, livestock marketing, dairy processing, light engineering, and the manufacture of ceramics, textiles, and furniture. Area 153 square miles (396 square km). Pop. (2006) local government area, 61,881.
Learn more about Maitland with a free trial on Britannica.com.