city, seat (1848) of Collin county, northeastern Texas, U.S., near the East Fork of Trinity River. Named for one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, it was platted in 1848. McKinney's home, formerly 17 miles (27 km) north, was moved in 1936 to Finch Park, where it was restored as a memorial. Many of the city's residents commute to work in Dallas or Plano, both located south of McKinney; its proximity to the expanding Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area spurred rapid economic and population growth beginning in the last decades of the 20th century. Inc. 1849. Pop. (1990) 21,283; (2000) 54,369.
Learn more about McKinney with a free trial on Britannica.com.