11 Trending Words of 2014
town, seat (1740) of Morris county, north-central New Jersey, U.S., on the Whippany River, 18 miles (29 km) west of Newark. Founded as West Hanover in 1710, when a forge was established to exploit local iron ore, it was renamed in 1740 for Lewis Morris, then governor of the colony. During the American Revolution the area was the winter quarters of the American army in 1779-80, where more than 10,000 troops camped; the site is preserved as Morristown National Historical Park, just southwest of the town. In addition, the American officer and later traitor Benedict Arnold was court-martialed in the town's Dickerson Tavern (now demolished) in 1779.