Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, seat (1837) of Muscatine county, eastern Iowa, U.S., on the Mississippi River, 32 miles (51 km) southwest of Davenport. The first settlers arrived in 1834, and a trading post was established the following year. It was originally called Bloomington but was renamed (1850), probably for the Mascoutin Indians; mascoutin is thought to have meant "burning island" or "fiery nation," possibly in reference to nearby Muscatine Island. The writer Mark Twain lived in the city briefly in 1854.