Stories We Like: Novels For Language Lovers
city, seat (1870) of Dale county, southeastern Alabama, U.S., about 20 miles (30 km) northwest of Dothan. The city was first settled about 1822 and named Merricks for its first settler. The name was later changed to Woodshop and finally, in 1855, to Ozark for the Ozark Indians. Following World War II, its economy was boosted by the expansion of nearby Fort Rucker (southwest) as an aviation centre, a complex that includes the U.S. Army Aviation Center and Aviation School and the Army Aviation Museum. Fort Rucker remains the basis of the city's economy. Agriculture (peanuts [groundnuts], livestock, and poultry) and manufacturing (including tires and apparel) are also important. Blue Springs State Park is about 15 miles (25 km) northeast. Ozark has a campus of Wallace Community College. Inc. 1870. Pop. (1990) 12,922; (2000) 15,119.