It’s about time. We are now on Instagram!
town, east-central New South Wales, Australia, in the Lachlan River valley. Originally known as Bushman's, it was founded in 1862 as a reef- and alluvial-gold centre. It was renamed for Sir Henry Parkes, a state premier, in 1873, and was proclaimed a municipality in 1883. Parkes is a commercial centre for a sheep-, grain-, fruit-, pig-, and poultry-farming area of the Western Slopes region. It is also a rail junction on the Newell Highway, with air connections to Sydney (185 miles [298 km] southeast). The city's industries include iron foundries, steel fabrication works, sawmills, joineries, rail workshops, and agricultural machinery plants. One of the world's largest (210 feet [64 metres]) bowl-shaped radio telescopes, operated by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, is at Alectown (15 miles north). Pop. (2006) local government area, 14,281.