city, Mobile county, southwestern Alabama, U.S., a northern industrial suburb of Mobile. It was named for Cleveland Prichard, who purchased a tract of land (1879) on the east side of the Mobile and Ohio Railroad track and developed it into a vegetable-shipping point for markets in the North and East. The city's industries now include shipbuilding and the manufacture of chemicals, paper, and lumber products (based on local pine forests). Inc. 1925. Pop. (1990) 34,311; (2000) 28,633.
Learn more about Prichard with a free trial on Britannica.com.