Is it farther or further?
town, southern Myanmar (Burma), on the Irrawaddy River. It is a trading centre and the site of a diesel electric plant. The name Prome is a mispronunciation of the town's Burmese name by non-Burmese natives and the British; it has become so conventional as to be virtually official. The Burmans call the town Pyay ("Capital"), recalling the old capital of the Pyu people, who were one of the earliest Tibeto-Burman groups to enter Burma after the 3rd century. They occupied the Irrawaddy River valley, and their capital, Sri Ksetra ("City of Splendour"), 5 miles (8 km) southeast of Pyay, was probably built in the 7th century. By the time Sri Ksetra fell to the Mon in the 8th century, the Pyu had retreated north to another site. During the 9th century they disappeared from historical records as a distinct people. In 1056 the Burmans invaded from the north and made Pyay one of their chief centres. It was taken by the British in 1825 and in 1852. The actual site of Sri Ksetra is now known as Hmawza. Excavations, which began there in 1907, revealed the uniquely Pyu culture as opposed to the Mon and Burman. The city was almost circular, its walls enclosed in an area of about 18 square miles (47 square km), the northern portion being planted in rice. The Shwesandaw pagoda is encircled by 83 small gilded temples. The Shwenattaung pagoda is reputed to have been built by the Pyu queen of the founder of Pyay. Pop. (1983) 83,332.