city, Bas-Saint-Laurent region, eastern Quebec province, Canada. The city lies on a hillside sloping gently toward its deepwater port (sheltered by the Ile Saint-Barnabe) on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River. The land was granted to Augustin Rouer de la Cardonniere in 1688. Germain Lepage was the first settler (1696), and Recollet missionaries and Jesuits followed in 1701. The name was probably derived from a Micmac Indian word meaning "land of the moose." About half the city was destroyed by fire in 1950, but it has since been rebuilt.
Learn more about Rimouski with a free trial on Britannica.com.