town, Ardennes departement, Champagne-Ardenne region, northeastern France. Sedan is situated 9 miles (14 km) southwest of the Belgian frontier. It lies on the right bank of the Meuse River along a loop in the river in a depression between two ridges. Most of the 17th- and 18th-century houses in the centre of the town were destroyed during the German invasion of France in 1940 during World War II. The 15th-century castle is locally claimed to be the largest in Europe. A statue has been erected in the centre of the town to Marshal Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, vicomte de Turenne, the famous 17th-century French soldier, who was born in the chateau of the stronghold.
Learn more about Sedan with a free trial on Britannica.com.