in architecture, covered passageway in a medieval English cathedral or monastery. The slype may lead from either the transept or the nave of the church proper to either the chapter house (the monks' assembly room) or the deanery (the residence of the dean). Most frequently it is adjacent to and east of the cloisters, covered walks lying south of the transept in most cruciform churches. Slypes are found in large Christian churches of about the late 11th century, such as the Winchester and Durham cathedrals and the abbey church of St. Albans. In those three examples the slype lies between the transept and the chapter house. In Gloucester Cathedral (begun in 1029), the slype lies at the western terminus of the nave.
Learn more about slype with a free trial on Britannica.com.