city and seaport, southwestern Norway. It is situated on the east side of a peninsula, with the Norwegian Sea on the west and Gands Fjord, a south branch of broad Bokna Fjord, on the east. Stavanger became the seat of a bishopric in the 12th century, when the Cathedral of St. Swithin was built. Although it received a royal charter as a trading town in 1425, Stavanger grew very slowly. After the Protestant Reformation its bishopric was transferred to Kristiansand in 1682, but a new Lutheran bishopric was reestablished there in 1925.
Learn more about Stavanger with a free trial on Britannica.com.