Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, seat (1797) of Jefferson county, eastern Ohio, U.S. It lies along the Ohio River, there bridged to Weirton, W.Va., with which it forms a metropolitan area, about 40 miles (65 km) west of Pittsburgh. Settled temporarily in 1765 by Jacob Walker, it later (1786) was the site of Fort Steuben (destroyed by fire, 1790), named for Frederick William, Freiherr (baron) von Steuben, the Prussian soldier who drilled the colonial army during the American Revolutionary War.