Why is the ninth month called September?
city, Sindh province, southeastern Pakistan. The city lies on the west bank of the Indus River, connected with Rohri on the opposite bank by a cantilever bridge. Midstream between the two cities is the strategic island fortress of Bukkur. The old town contains many historic tombs and mosques, including the Mir Ma'sum Shah Minaret (c. 1607). The newer part of Sukkur lies on low, bare limestone ridges that slope down to the river. It was incorporated as a municipality in 1862. There are rail and trunk-road connections with Quetta, Multan, and Karachi. An industrial and trade centre, it has biscuit, cigarette, oil, lime, and cement factories and cotton, silk, thread, and flour mills; boatbuilding is also significant. The Sukkur Industrial Trading Estate was established in the 1950s with facilities for processing local products, such as wool, oilseeds, and hides. The city has several government colleges affiliated with the University of Sindh.