city, Talladega county, central Alabama, U.S. It is located at the southwestern corner of Talladega National Forest (eastern section) in the Coosa River valley, about 50 miles (80 km) southeast of Birmingham. The area was visited by Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto in 1540 and was inhabited by the Creek until they were removed by the federal government in 1836. The arrival of the Anniston and Atlantic Railroad in 1886 helped spur economic growth. The city is built on an extensive bed of cream-white marble, the only deposit of its kind known in the world. Quarrying and processing of this marble began in 1840, and part of it was used in the U.S. Supreme Court building and the Lincoln Memorial. The marble is crushed and ground in many products, including paint, adhesives, plastics, rubber, and cosmetics.
Learn more about Sylacauga with a free trial on Britannica.com.