city of county status and seat of Jasz-Nagykun-Szolnok megye (county), east-central Hungary, at the confluence of the Zagyva and Tisza rivers. Under the Arpad kings (c. 1001-1301) Szolnok was a market town and distributing centre for rock salt from the Maramures Mountains (now in Romania). Later in the European Middle Ages it was a strategic settlement fiercely contested by Magyars and Turks. In modern times it has developed as a transportation centre and river port, being the gateway to the trans-Tisza region. It is on the Budapest-Debrecen road, and several international rail lines converge on the great bridge over the Tisza, completed after World War II. A new railway station was built in Szolnok in 1977. In addition to having a large transit trade, Szolnok has several industries, manufacturing furniture, textiles, chemicals, and paper and cellulose products. Hotels and thermal baths are located on the riverbank over the source of subterranean waters, which are pumped from 3,140 ft (957 m) below ground and reach temperatures of 133 F (56 C). Of cultural interest are the Neoclassical Town Hall, the Szigligeti Theatre, a museum, and an artists' colony. Pop. (2001) 77,631.
Learn more about Szolnok with a free trial on Britannica.com.