town, northern KwaZulu-Natal province, South Africa. It lies on the north bank of the White Mfolozi (Umfolozi) River. The site was chosen by Cetshwayo for his new capital when he became king of the Zulu in 1873. He called it UluNdi ("the High Place"). The village was captured and burned by the British in 1879 in the last battle of the Anglo-Zulu War, in which Cetshwayo was defeated. A memorial has been erected on the site
Learn more about Ulundi with a free trial on Britannica.com.