|the former name (until 1982) of Mutare|
city, eastern Zimbabwe. It originated as Ft. Umtali and was built by prospectors in 1890 near the junction of the Sambi and Umtara rivers. Its name was derived from a local word meaning "metal," probably referring to the nearby ancient goldworkings. The settlement was moved twice so as to be on the railway between the national capital, Salisbury (now Harare), and Beira (Mozambique), which reached the town in 1898. It was declared a municipality in 1914.
Learn more about Umtali with a free trial on Britannica.com.