|a calculus or concretion found in the stomach or intestines of certain animals, esp. ruminants, formerly reputed to be an effective remedy for poison.|
|an extraordinary or unusual thing, person, or event; an exceptional example or instance.|
city, Delaware county, southeastern Pennsylvania, U.S., on the Delaware River (across from Bridgeport, New Jersey), within the Philadelphia metropolitan area. One of the oldest communities in the state, the Chester area was granted by the Swedish crown to a bodyguard of Johan Printz, the governor of New Sweden, in 1644. After 1655 Dutch settlers joined the Swedes in establishing the town of Upland. William Markham, the deputy governor to William Penn, located his seat of government in Upland when he arrived in 1681 to establish the English colony of Pennsylvania. Upon Penn's arrival in 1682 the province's first assembly was convened there. Penn probably renamed the settlement Chester for a Quaker centre in Cheshire, England. From this early period, date the John Morton (c. 1650) and the Caleb Pusey (1683) houses.
Learn more about Upland with a free trial on Britannica.com.