city, seat (1856) of Uvalde county, southwestern Texas, U.S. It lies along the Leona River, some 85 miles (135 km) west-southwest of San Antonio. Fort Inge was built (1849) on the Leona's east bank, and the site was settled in 1852 by W.W. Arnett, who was joined in 1853 by Reading W. Black and H.L. Stratton. Black opened a trading post (1855) and called the community Encina. The city was renamed Uvalde in 1856, when it was incorporated and named county seat. Its name was taken from that of the county, which had been derived, misspelled, from Juan de Ugalde, the Spanish-born Mexican governor (1777-83) of the province of San Francisco de Coahuila in New Spain (Mexico)
Learn more about Uvalde with a free trial on Britannica.com.