Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, seat (1860) of Lowndes county, southern Georgia, U.S., about 60 miles (100 km) northeast of Tallahassee, Florida. Troupville, the original town and county seat (1828, as Franklinville), was moved 4 miles (6 km) east in 1859 to the present site to be on the right-of-way of the area's first railroad. The new town was named for Georgia Governor George M. Troup's plantation, Val d'Osta (for the Italian region Valle d'Aosta). Valdosta is a rail and commercial centre for tobacco, timber, and cattle, with diversified manufacturing. It is also an important inland naval stores market, especially for turpentine. Tourism (based on numerous fishing lakes and rivers in the vicinity and on the Grand Bay Wildlife Management Area 10 miles [16 km] north) and Moody Air Force Base, 12 miles (19 km) northeast, also contribute to the economy. Valdosta State University was established in 1906. Inc. town, 1860; city, 1901. Pop. (1990) 39,806; (2000) 43,724.