city, seat (1836) of Johnson county, west-central Missouri, U.S. It lies 50 miles (80 km) southeast of Kansas City. Named for Martin Warren, an American Revolutionary War soldier and blacksmith who settled in the area in 1833, the town developed as an agricultural trade centre. The arrival of the Missouri Pacific Railroad (1864) stimulated its growth, and flour and woolen mills, grain elevators, and a brewery were built. In the late 19th century Warrensburg was known for its mineral springs; sandstone quarries and coal mines were also in operation. Its economy is now diversified, with agriculture (wheat, soybeans, corn [maize], hay, and cattle) still important. Leading manufactures include circuit boards, lawn mowers, electronic products, batteries, and metal castings. Central Missouri State University (1871) was established in the city as a state normal school. Whiteman Air Force Base, home to the B-2 bomber, is 10 miles (16 km) east of the city.
Learn more about Warrensburg with a free trial on Britannica.com.