city, seat (1891) of Williams county, northwestern North Dakota, U.S. It lies on the Missouri River, 20 miles (30 km) east of the Montana state line and 65 miles (105 km) south of the Canadian border. The Lewis and Clark Expedition passed through the area in 1804-05. Assiniboin, Crow, Blackfoot, and Cree Indians traded with American Fur Company representatives at Fort Union, built in 1828 near the junction of the Yellowstone and Missouri rivers (about 25 miles [40 km] southwest of the city; now Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site). Originally called Little Muddy, the site was first settled in the 1870s by Robert Matthews, who cut hay for cavalry horses at Fort Buford (now a state historic site southwest of Williston). An important factor in the community's growth was the arrival of the Great Northern Railway (1887) and the location there of its division headquarters. The community was then renamed by James J. Hill, builder and president of the railway, for a financier friend, D. Willis James of New York City. The surrounding agricultural region produces wheat, rye, oats, barley, sugar beets, potatoes, and livestock. Oil production, developed after the discovery of oil (1951) in the Williston Basin, remains important to the economy, and coal mining operations are located just outside the city. An international airport lies in the northwestern part of the city. Williston State (community) College opened in 1957 as an extension centre of the University of North Dakota. Williston is situated on the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail, and Lewis and Clark State Park is about 20 miles (30 km) east of the city. Also nearby, located across the Missouri River, are the North Dakota badlands, which include Little Missouri National Grassland and Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Inc. village, 1894; city, 1904. Pop. (2000) 12,512; (2006 est.) 12,303.
Learn more about Williston with a free trial on Britannica.com.