city, Zurich canton, northern Switzerland. It lies in a wooded basin east of the Toss River, northeast of Zurich city. The Roman settlement of Vitodurum was on the site of the city's northeastern suburb of Ober-Winterthur. Winterthur was founded about 1175 by the counts of Kyburg, who granted it a charter with extensive privileges. It was inherited in 1264 by the Habsburgs, who sold it to the city of Zurich in 1467. Notable landmarks include the Town Church of St. Laurenz (1264-1515), the town hall (1781-83), and the Assembly Hall (1865-69). Notable among the advanced schools is the Technikum, Switzerland's largest school of technology. The city's Collection Oskar Reinhart am Romerholz picture gallery and its symphony orchestra are well known. A rail and industrial centre, Winterthur is home to high-technology businesses and also manufactures cotton textiles. Pop. (2007 est.) city, 93,546; urban agglom., 130,076.
Learn more about Winterthur with a free trial on Britannica.com.