|a calculus or concretion found in the stomach or intestines of certain animals, esp. ruminants, formerly reputed to be an effective remedy for poison.|
|a stew of meat, vegetables, potatoes, etc.|
|1.||a dealer in a specified trade or merchandise: corn chandler; ship's chandler|
|2.||a person who makes or sells candles|
|3.||obsolete (Brit) a retailer of grocery provisions; shopkeeper|
|[C14: from Old French chandelier one who makes or deals in candles, from chandelle|
city, Maricopa county, south-central Arizona, U.S. Founded in the 1890s, the city was named for veterinarian and real-estate developer A.J. Chandler, who built an extensive agricultural canal system in the area. Chandler is a winter resort in a cotton, alfalfa, citrus fruit, pecan, sugar beet, and cattle-raising region of the irrigated Salt River valley. The city emerged in the late 1980s as an important centre for the manufacture of semiconductors and other computer-related technology, and city leaders have dubbed it "the high-tech oasis of the silicon desert." Williams Air Force Base (1941), home of the nation's first jet air school, is 10 miles (16 km) east. The Gila River Reservation is immediately to the west. Inc. 1920. Pop. (1990) 90,533; (2000) 176,581.
Learn more about Chandler with a free trial on Britannica.com.