a city in NW England, administrative centre of the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester, on the River Dee: intact surrounding walls; 16th- and 17th-century double-tier shops. Pop: 80 121 (2001) Latin name Deva
Cestre (1086), from O.E. Legacæstir (735) "City of the Legions," from O.E. ceaster "Roman town or city." It was the base of the Second Legion Adiutrix in the 70s C.E. and later the 20th Legion Valeria Victrix. But the town's name in Roman times was Deoua (c.150 C.E.), from its situation on the River Dee, a Celtic river name meaning "the goddess, the holy one."