What is the X in X-mas?
ancient town in Luxembourg province, Belgium, on the Semois River in the Ardennes. It was long known for the ducal title connected with it. Bouillon in the 11th century was held by the counts of Ardennes, whom the German kings invested with the dukedom of Lower Lorraine. Because Bouillon was their chief stronghold, it became usual to designate these dukes, loosely, as dukes of Bouillon, though Bouillon was not yet a duchy. In 1096 the bishopric of Liege received the town, and the bishops thereafter often styled themselves dukes of Bouillon. One Guillaume de La Marck received Bouillon in 1482; and, although Liege took it back twice in the following century, Bouillon-now formally a dukedom-eventually descended, by marriage, to Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne in 1591. The duchy remained in this line until 1794, when Bouillon declared itself a republic (it was annexed by France the next year). On the defeat of Napoleonic France, the victorious powers in November 1815 gave the sovereignty, with Luxembourg, to The Netherlands. The ducal title was adjudged in 1816 to Charles-Alain-Gabriel de Rohan, duc de Montbazon (a descendant of Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne), in whose family it remains. On the partition of Luxembourg in 1831, Bouillon became Belgian. The town, a popular summer resort, is noted for its well-preserved medieval castle, which is located in the Ardennes hills above the town. Pop. (1983 est.) 5,427.