city, seat (1824) of Seneca county, north-central Ohio, U.S., on the Sandusky River, about 45 miles (70 km) southeast of Toledo. Fort Ball, a military depot of the War of 1812, occupied a site on the river's north bank (marked by a bronze statue, The Indian Maiden), where the settlement of Oakley sprang up. (The name Oakley was changed to Fort Ball after 1824.) In 1820 Josiah Hedges founded a settlement on the south bank and named it for Edward Tiffin, Ohio's first governor. Incorporated in 1835, Tiffin merged with Fort Ball in 1850. Agriculture was originally the economic mainstay, but the discovery of natural gas (1888) nearby brought industrial growth. Manufactures now include vitreous plumbing fixtures, furniture, automobile and machine parts, forging machinery, fabricated metal products, and insulation. Heidelberg College was founded in 1850 by the Reformed Church in the United States (now United Church of Christ), and Tiffin University, a business and liberal arts school, was founded in 1888. Pop. (2000) 18,135; (2005 est.) 17,438.
Learn more about Tiffin with a free trial on Britannica.com.