1620-30; alteration (by association with Latinlucerna lamp) of Frenchluzerne < Provençalluzerno glowworm (the plant was so called in allusion to its bright seeds); akin to Old Provençalluzerna lamp < Vulgar Latin*lūcerna, for Latinlucerna. See lucid
[loo-surn; French ly-sern] /luˈsɜrn; French lüˈsɛrn/
a canton in central Switzerland. 576 sq. mi. (1490 sq. km).
the capital of this canton, on Lake of Lucerne.
Lake of. Also called Lake of the Four Forest Cantons. a lake in central Switzerland. 24 miles (39 km) long; 44 sq. mi. (114 sq. km).